It is extremely unlikely that you will ever sell anything on your website. Does this mean that having a website is a waste of time and money? Clearly, with the number of websites that are online, we all know that you must have a website if your are going to be taken seriously as a business. But never sell anything? That’s pretty harsh.
I’ve talked about this before – somewhere between 80% and 97% of all ecommerce websites fail. You read that right, your chances of success with your online store are as low as 3 percent! Why? The thought process of most business owners is, “How can I get on page one of Google?,” but the reality is that getting on page one of Google has very little to do with being successful with your website. Perhaps you think, “I just need a celebrity endorsement!” In fact, this type of “if-only thinking”, that magic will happen in your business, is the cause of most online business never realizing their potential. The truth is that most online businesses fail. People put up new websites every day and never sell anything.
I’ve been saying this for years, but it still bears repeating: The internet is not a magic pill. You can’t just put up an eCommerce website and expect to make money – you have to work it just like any other business. In fact, you may have to work at it harder than other businesses models. Since people can’t see you or your products, it is often harder to establish enough of a know-like-trust factor to get them to send you money online.
Let all of this sink in for a moment. If you are not willing to put in the time to working your website, consistently creating new blog posts, writing product descriptions, taking photographs, creating videos, sharing on social media, interacting via live chat, sending out email blasts, promoting your products on Instagram, developing a following, etc., etc., etc. – your website will fail. You will never build up enough traffic to it for it to sustain itself, much less make you money. Having a website is a committment and requires a substantial amount of work.
By now you might be thinking, “Forget it..If it requires that much work, I just won’t bother.” Or maybe you are thinking the exact opposite: “It must be my web designer’s fault! I’ll just get a new website that is optimized to get more views.” Are you […]