24 Jan The Current Recession is a Forever Recession
So asserts Seth Godin, because its the end of the industrial revolution. Here are some facts that support this:
- The Post Office will likely disappear in our life time. They are in such deep financial trouble that there is now way out.
- Checks will likely disappear in our lifetime. Brittan is already laying the groundwork to do away with paper checks by 2018.
- The newspaper will likely disappear in our lifetime. The younger generation doesn’t read it (and neither do I).
- Books are already disappearing in favor of eBooks.
- The Land Line Telephone – seriously, who needs it anymore?
- The way we buy and listen to music has changed.
- Television has changed and will continue to do so.
- The “Things” That You Own. Many of the very possessions that we used to own are still in our lives, but we may not actually own them in the future. They may simply reside in “the cloud.”
- Privacy. If there ever was a concept that we can look back on nostalgically, it would be privacy. That’s gone. It’s been gone for a long time anyway. There are cameras on the street, in most of the buildings, and even built into your computer and cell phone.
- The United States is rapidly becoming the very first “post-industrial” nation on the globe.
Regardless of the type of work you currently do, it’s time to wake up and determine how you can profit and thrive in the new digital economy.