- The EU is examining whether Google's proposed acquisition of Fitbit will give the company more data to entrench its search engine and advertising businesses (Javier Espinoza/Financial Times)on July 2, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Javier Espinoza / Financial Times:The EU is examining whether Google's proposed acquisition of Fitbit will give the company more data to entrench its search engine and advertising businesses — Lengthy questionnaires to rivals come as consumer groups warn the deal will extend Google's data empire
- Facebook says it continued sharing data of inactive users with around 5,000 developers even after their apps' 90-day cut-off date expired; issue is now fixed (Catalin Cimpanu/ZDNet)on July 2, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Catalin Cimpanu / ZDNet:Facebook says it continued sharing data of inactive users with around 5,000 developers even after their apps' 90-day cut-off date expired; issue is now fixed — A Facebook privacy mechanism blocks apps from receiving user data if users didn't use an app for 90 days.
- How Infrared Images Could Be Part of Your Daily Lifeby Jonah M. Kessel on July 2, 2020 at 2:56 pm
In a post-quarantine world, heat sensors could help spot sick people with elevated temperatures as they enter public places. But it’s not that simple.
- A mystery shopper who irked online merchants by abandoning thousands of shopping carts carrying only one item was a Google bot scraping pricing information (Paul Ziobro/Wall Street Journal)on July 2, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Paul Ziobro / Wall Street Journal:A mystery shopper who irked online merchants by abandoning thousands of shopping carts carrying only one item was a Google bot scraping pricing information — Merchants have seen a lot of browsing by John Smith, who picks up items, then leaves without buying; ‘it started getting out of hand’
- Hertz bankruptcy turns into $11B standoff in court over used car fleet - Roadshowby Sean Szymkowski on July 2, 2020 at 2:42 pm
The rental car giant and its creditors don't agree on what will become of its nearly 500,000 vehicles.
- Wireless earbuds under $50: All the best options I've found so far - CNETby Lexy Savvides on July 2, 2020 at 2:38 pm
If you don't want to spend a bundle on AirPods or Galaxy Buds Plus, you can still get a great pair of wireless earbuds. These are the best ones I found so far.
- Super Nintendo World looks pretty incredible in unofficial Twitter video - CNETby Sean Keane on July 2, 2020 at 2:37 pm
I would like to live there.
- 2021 Ford Bronco reveal happening with a little magic from Disney - Roadshowby Sean Szymkowski on July 2, 2020 at 2:31 pm
Ford will broadcast the reveal across ABC, ESPN and National Geographic July 13 during a primetime slot.
- Twitter removes image from Trump tweet for violating copyright policy - CNETby Alexandra Garrett on July 2, 2020 at 2:31 pm
The president's tweet included a photo of himself taken for The New York Times in 2015.
- Apple's 'walled garden' walls will get even higher with iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and MacOS Big Sur - CNETby Ian Sherr on July 2, 2020 at 2:31 pm
The tech giant is building long-requested features into iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and MacOS Big Sur that tie the devices together, giving people fewer reasons to try competing options.
- 13 privacy improvements Apple announced at WWDCby Jonny Evans on July 2, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Apple continues to focus on the challenge of providing technology-driven convenience while protecting customer privacy in its upcoming operating system releases. Here are all the privacy-related improvements to expect in iOS 14, macOS 11 and iPad.Why privacy matters Fundamentally, the challenge with mobile technologies is the sheer quantity of personal data that can be collected and used against people.A smartphone, for example, knows when it is picked up, how often, how high, who by, who it is in contact with, which websites you visit and much, much more.To read this article in full, please click here
- Galaxy S20 vs. S10 specs compared: Here's what's new in 2020 - CNETby Lynn La on July 2, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Samsung's Galaxy S20 phones are available now. Here's what's different from last year's Galaxy S10.
- How to Watch: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo cabin reveal - CNETby Sean Keane on July 2, 2020 at 2:07 pm
Richard Branson's space travel company will reveal the cabin design on July 28.
- AirPods Pro vs. Jabra Elite 75t: Sound quality, battery life, comfort and connectivity - CNETby Lexy Savvides on July 2, 2020 at 2:04 pm
These are among the best wireless earbuds you can buy, so which pair should you spend your cash on?
- Best blenders of 2020: Ninja, NutriBullet and more - CNETby Molly Price on July 2, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Whether you're making a smoothie or grating cheese, these mix masters are here to make the job easier.
- NBA 2K21 adds a Kobe Bryant Mamba Forever Edition as game goes on preorder - CNETby Eli Blumenthal on July 2, 2020 at 2:00 pm
The hit franchise issues a special edition of its new game to honor the late Lakers legend.
- NBA 2K21 will cost an extra $10 for Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5 versions - CNETby Eli Blumenthal on July 2, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Next-gen games could be more expensive than current titles.
- Zuckerberg reluctant to change Facebook policies over ad boycott, report says - CNETby Carrie Mihalcik on July 2, 2020 at 1:57 pm
The Facebook CEO reportedly told employees he expects advertisers to return "soon enough."
- Excellent TCL 8-Series TV now at lowest price ever for Independence Day sale - CNETby David Katzmaier on July 2, 2020 at 1:56 pm
The 65-incher costs $1,000 and the 75-incher is $1,800. The sale at Best Buy runs through the Fourth of July and ends Sunday.
- Facebook says it will pin a voter registration information box at the top of the News Feed for every US user of voting age starting July 3 (Jay Peters/The Verge)on July 2, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Jay Peters / The Verge:Facebook says it will pin a voter registration information box at the top of the News Feed for every US user of voting age starting July 3 — Facebook will pin a box with information about voter registration on the top of the News Feed for every US user who is of voting age starting tomorrow, July 3rd, the company announced today.
- YouTube TV hiked its price to $65. Sling TV and Hulu are the best alternatives - CNETby Ty Pendlebury on July 2, 2020 at 1:37 pm
The beauty of live TV streaming services is that you can always cancel.
- Tesla Q2 deliveries once again blow past estimates - Roadshowby Sean Szymkowski on July 2, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Despite a shutdown at its plant in Fremont, California due to the coronavirus, Tesla sped past Wall Street's expectations.
- The best deals from Best Buy's July 4th sale - CNETby Rick Broida on July 2, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Big discounts on laptops, Apple products, TCL's brilliant 8 Series TVs and more.
- Four Top Tech C.E.O.s Will Testify in Antitrust Inquiry, Panel Saysby David McCabe on July 2, 2020 at 1:29 pm
The hearing this month would be a central moment in the continuing backlash against the power of Amazon, Facebook, Alphabet and Apple.
- Slice and dice with a colorful $21 Cuisinart kitchen knife set - CNETby David Watsky on July 2, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Plus, save more than $80 on a smart combo blender and food processor at Macy's.